3/2/09

Millie On Stairs

Children, the constant challenge. I have a love/hate relationship with photographing children. Quality over quantity. I am the first to say I am guilty of shooting hundreds of shots in a matter of minutes to catch the perfect expression. Those photos always left a bland taste in my mouth. So many pictures, so little substance. I guess that approach isn't all bad but it's more of the digital camera/photographer approach. What happened to the approach of old-school photographers that photographed our parents, grandparents and great-grandparents with their large, cumbersome view-cameras, resulting in one priceless photograph with just one or two releases of the shutter? I see emotion, depth and simplicity in those timeless photographs. I see a photograph that will last and be admired through generations. As frustrating as my manual focus lens and 12 frames per roll of film may sometimes seem, I am grateful it challenges me to think, prepare and to choose my shots carefully.